This.Is.The.Beginning.End.

_______________________________________________

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

New Parents Please

In what is probably the hardest thing for me to confess, I want to let my dear friend Kari know that I have always wanted different parents. Let me say that I love my parents. But that love has changed and developed over the years as I hope it continues to do. In my needy years I loved them unconditionally, because to be infallible meant to provide me with the necessities of life - a full lunch box, a bunk bed, and play time. As I got older, I started having my own milestones (first day of kindergarten was hers, as was my baptism at 8 for that matter).

My Eagle Scout court of honor was a big one for me and I would have given anything to have anyone else function as my parents. My mother was so eager to pin my badge on me that she rushed up, pulled me by the hand and denied me the dignity of walking up as I needed to do as a 17 year old young man. She shrieked and tears rolled down her cheeks. This was a milestone of MY life. I felt like a clown of a kid with an overbearing mother who didn’t know how to respect her sons boundaries. I wanted a different mother who would go to PTA meetings at my school; who would remember after the 7 billionth time that I don’t like tuna fish. The mother in my imagination could have looked the same and talked the same but she would do more for me, more to make my future life be easier. She would be better at personal finance, at follow through, at getting things organized. I guess I didn’t want a different mother so much as another mother whose skills would augment mine and who I could learn from in a different way.

I’ve always wanted a different father. But for better or worse, they are who I was stuck with. I am grateful for the bond that I’ve made and continue to make with them. But is it wrong that I will want to make a bond with my in-laws (whenever that’s going to happen)? Or that I want my friends Andrew and Shelby to be at my wedding as much as my mom and dad? Maybe I’m a little more heartless than most. Perhaps I am too independent. Without going so far as to say "out of sight out of mind," there is a lot to be said for "love the one’s you’re with." I think that the people in our lives are the ones who shape us and make us and it is how we interact with them that truly forms who we are. My mom is a different person then when I was five. Our relationship is different and she and I have both had to adapt and change to meet the changes we both have gone through.

Do I miss my old mom? Yes, of course; but only as much as I miss being in kindergarten again which is more about romantic reminiscences than an actual desire to relive that time. As time goes forward it takes us with it either with complicity or kicking and screaming (that’s part of five that I don’t miss). I try to assess each day and what its challenges are. I try to access the joy of each opportunity to grow and make the most of what I have right now. Tomorrow it will only be a memory.

3 comments:

Hilary said...

it sounds like you are a tired boy little collin and you need to take some time for yourself my dear friend. wow. you are such a giver, I am excited for you to be able to have a bit of break. you are a really amazing person... You've inspired me: my next entry: Hilary's daddy issues and why it is his fault that I am not married at 26... :) Just kidding...its totally my mom's fault... :) sorry, lame joke...

Kari said...

So does this mean it's okay for our kids to have me as a second mom?? (or that they'll wish they had a different one?)

Brave and honest. It's completely normal in your mid to late twenties to recognize and try to figure out all the childhood stuff. Even when it's a bit unpleasant. (Especially when it's unpleasant.) Very cool. I miss you. We need to email! xxxx

Andrew said...

i love it i love it! i have felt similar pangs of disappointment in my parents. then one day i woke up and realized that they are just people. and i also realized that i am much older than they are. when people get married, their growth as individuals is obviously stunted. the further i trek into the unknown, the more i realize how many experiences i am having that my parents will never understand; i am becoming the wise one and that is very strange.
but for now, i just enjoy their friendship and their quirky personalities. i am becoming the one that quells their fears about life and living, and in the near future, dying. it is also true that as people get older they become more childlike. it is a strange paradox that someday we will be the ones to take care of them as if they were a child.