This.Is.The.Beginning.End.

_______________________________________________

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The Hilarity of My Sincerity

Ever wonder why your the last one picked or end up stuck in a windowless office at an air-conditioning installation company with 6 employees answering one phone call per hour for $8 an hour? Of course not. Because if you did then you would be me and you are certainly not me. Because I am me and were I not I would be you; having the time of my life, getting married, developing an acting/singing career, looking gorgeous, and being first pick. That is how I know you are you and I am me. And these are the kinds of things I wonder about on a regular basis:
1. Why do I come up with ideas for operas but have no skills to create one?
2. Where will I get enough money to buy a car, a computer and rent money to be able to move?
3. How come I don't have bigger pecs?
4. Can I make money writing, and if so, who do I approach?
5. Why do I hate writing every other day?
6. Is this why I don't have a writing career?
7. Perhaps this is why I haven't graduated yet.
8. That and I hate going to class.
9. And homework.

When I think about those days on the black top, waiting at the end of the line (I'm not sure I have fully forgiven my mother for marrying a man whose last name wasn't Applebaum), picking flowers in the outfield and singing to myself, I realize that I had a dream then. It is the same dream I have now. To be jewish, rich, an ivy league alum, and to change the world with my charisma. I can safely say I live in the same world as my seven year-old self and am just picking daisies humming songs alone.

5 comments:

Hilary said...

collin. I love it. YOu crack me up. Why don't you just move to La, work for Fayez and you and I can co-write something. we were always such a great team. I know I can't do it alone, and you, apparently, can't either. I just met a girl who wrote her first manuscript and got picked up by UTA. Call me.

Anonymous said...

based on a conversation I had earlier this day, college is worthwhile, it's where free thinkers and creators are cultivated, the rest of everyone else maintain the eight dollar mindlessness without a second thought (so do many college people but i digress- role with me). obviously you don't belong- not to say that college is the end all- i've been known to skip class and homework on a regular basis- i'm actually doing that right now. you are special. and talented. you are on a journey. i think it is perpetual. I'm pretty sure I am you. take it in like the flowers in the field

Anonymous said...

i'm so cliche. and brilliant.

Collin said...

Cliche and brilliant - my favorite combination.

Kari said...

You CAN change the world with your charisma. I know. I've seen you work it.